You are planning to buy a new house but confused as to which type of floor to choose.-Hard floor or Carpet floor. For most people with kids it is easier to make a choice . A perfect flooring apart from
- lending aesthetic appeal,
- providing durability,
- being budget-friendly ,
- easy to maintain,
- will also be kid-friendly too.
Like they say it always pays to be a little wise while making long term investments into your dream home, a place where you are going to spend most of your time!
- Floors with a carpet provide a soft landing when kids fall.
- They are great for cooler climates where hard tiles might get cooler faster.
- It provides a swankier look when it is newer or well maintained.
- Carpet provide a comforting padding to the feet.
- If on different floors ,it creates lesser sounds for the people living on lower levels..
- Carpets might be more expensive while being laid.
- Carpet if old and worn out might give the house a dilapidated look . So it is essential that it gets replaced.
- Dust does not easily show so its better to regularly vacuum to protect family from ailments caused by dust. Hidden allergens in the carpet can often lead to severe allergies and ailments like eczema.
- Carpet undergoes staining so it is always better to subject it to a timely washing and conditioning.
- A thing to keep in mind when investing in carpet flooring is that it takes a lot of hard work and effort in maintaining it and consequently more expensive. If you have kids at home you cannot do much to avoid liquid spills, be it the ketchup or the paints.
They come in many types mainly hardwoods and laminates. As we know one preferring the hardwood can choose from a number of options. From the word hardwood itself we can make out that it is natural. So how does it fare when you have kids at home. Let’s examine-
- Real hardwood lend a sophisticated and rich look to your home; not to forget a touch of grandeur.
- They are usually pricey at the time of installation.
- Wooden flooring are fantastic with kids as they are easy to clean. Whatever be the spill , you can easily clean with a piece of cloth.
- It does not stain , so less stress over spilt stuff.
- They are however prone to scratching; with kids you never know.
- In case of real hardwood , if there seems to be a break or tear, it can be repaired by sanding or re-polishing.
- It can hurt your kids minimal in case of a fall as compared to tiles or marble flooring.
- It is great for homes in the colder climates as they do not get too cold as tiled floors.
- Wooden flooring often cause a type of sound-proofing as well.
All in all to me as a mum both are more preferable options as compared to hard tiles . However to each their own. Whatever you do, do not forget to measure the pros and cons before you make that huge decision!