Vinegar and Soda are two of the most commonly available ingredients in the kitchen. There cannot be a kitchen without it. Although there are so many purposes that we use it for, Vinegar is widely used in soups and curries. It is a mixture of ascetic acid and water. However there are many types of vinegar such as
- White Vinegar,
- Rice vinegar,
- Balsamic vinegar,
- Apple Cider Vinegar and
- Wine vinegar.
Soda also known as Baking Soda or Soda bicarb is used as a raising agent in baking cakes , cookies, breads and so on. It should not be interchanged with baking powder as the two are different. Baking Soda is alkaline in nature and needs an acidic component to render it active , meanwhile baking powder is a mixture of cornstarch, cream of tartar and baking soda. Baking soda being mildly alkaline reacts with acidic components like vinegar to give a frothy scum like formation which makes for excellent mock volcanoes for children in school experiments and practicals.
Besides being two of my favorite kitchen ingredients, its versatile nature cannot be negated. The magic lies in the vinegar’s and soda’s excellent cleaning properties and not to forget that the latter works as a deodorizer as well. The following tips mentioned below can effectively aid in the amazing transformation of any household and not to forget that there is perhaps more utilities of it than could be contained here. Besides it will make you an expert in effectively managing your home with the help of simple ingredients. . I usually take benefits through the following ways and they never cease to disappoint me!
- Add a sparkle to your glass wares. Wash your glasses in a solution of vinegar and warm water after you have washed them with soap. This will prevent the formation of white deposits in your glasses formed by minerals.If you use a dishwasher add some tablespoons of vinegar to the rinse cycle to prevent watermarks from forming.
- Clean the filter of the exhaust fan. Although it is advisable to do this monthly. Fill the basin with warm water, now add generous amounts of vinegar and some soap. Soak it for around 30 minutes. Scrub at the yellow stains with some abrasive baking powder. Wash off, it is as good as new!
- Their were white formations in my shower
cubicle forming a hazy layers which made it translucent as well. To get rid of it I dipped a sponge in vinegar and rubbed it along the cubicle walls. After 30 minutes I washed it off and remarkably all the white formation vanished making it transparent once again.
- To clean limescale deposits forming in the bathtub and the shower cubicle walls and floor , sprinke generous amounts of baking soda and scrub with a soft scourer. This will effectively clean away all the deposits. In no time it will be new as ever!
- I even soaked the gas burners in a solution of half water and vinegar for a night.The next day I even scrubbed at the stains with some warm soap and water mixture . They become clean .
- The stove top stains can be really stubborn as well with yellow and black residue on it. Although hot soap water mixture is quiet excellent , to remove the tough stains sprinkle some baking soda generously and scrub at it till it is removed
- Make your faucet glisten like a mirror. On a piece of paper towel add a dab of vinegar and rub away all the water stains till you can see your face in them!
- Clean your microwave in a jiffy. No need to be scared of splatters in the microwave caused by curries or gravy or stuffs. In a mug pour some vinegar and microwave for 2 minutes under your watchful eyes . Leave for 2 minutes. Now wipe off with a wet cloth or sponge. Cleaning a microwave is no a hassle anymore!
- Clean a really greasy, oily or messy pan with some soda.
- Steel sinks can be first cleaned with some baking soda .This can be followed by a mixture of vinegar, some warm water and soap to make them shining. Wipe them dry.
- To remove stains on carpets mix with a half and half mixture of water and vinegar. Apply and leave for some time. After an hour or two wipe off with a cloth. You can even make a mixture of soda and baking powder to work wonders.
- Clean windows with a solution of vinegar and water ,use this a a spray or rub with a sponge. Now rub off with a news paper.
- Occassionally run your dishwasher quick mode with a bowl of vinegar on the top shelf, this will de-stain the dishwasher. from inside.
- In order to deodorize your microwave, make a mixture of 2-3 tbsp of soda and dissolve in some water . Now wipe off .If odor persists ,then fill the solution in a microwave safe container and do as while cleaning with vinegar.
- Carpets absorb a lot of odor and are responsible for retaining most of the unpleasant odors at home of food, pets and what not. At intervals do not forget to deodorize your carpet. Sprinkle generously, spread out with a brush and leave overnight or for 5 hours. Vacuum.
- Sprinkle your pets litter area with generous amounts of baking soda. If pet has missed its litter area sprinkle lots of soda on the area which will help in neutralizing the odor.
Although these are a few tips I am sure their is so much more that one can learn. However needless to say these are not just secrets of just home managers but expert cleaners too, I am sure !